Gunite Lining Replacement in a 159’-9” x 22’-0’ ID Steel Stack
Gibraltar Chimney was contracted to replace the acid resistant gunite lining in the Unit #4 Stack at Con Edison's East River Generating Sta.
Limited outage constraints necessitated 'round-the-clock' work, seven days a week. The roof mounted stack required workers to remove debris from the access opening at the roof elevation and then lower material to grade elevation for disposal. Several project highlights included:
- Tear-out of approximately 4,000 CF of existing gunite lining and reinforcing steel and mesh.
- Sandblasting of all exposed interior steel surfaces to a SSPC-6, commercial blast finish.
- The installation of a 2½” thick gunite lining; including a over 20,000 refractory anchors and 425,000 lbs. of calcium aluminate cement.
- Platform repairs, grating replacement, testport installation and other miscellaneous repairs.
- Painting the exterior surface of the stack.